Sunday, June 29, 2014

Judean Wilderness - June 21, 2014


“Therefore I am now going to allure her; I will lead her into the wilderness and speak tenderly to her … ‘In that day,’ declares the Lord, ‘you will call me ‘my husband’ … I will betroth you to me forever; I will betroth you in righteousness and justice, in love and compassion. I will betroth you in faithfulness, and you will acknowledge the Lord,” (Hosea 2:14, 16, 19-20, NIV).
Looking out over the Judean Wilderness, these words pierce straight to my heart as they are read aloud. Today, June 21, is my 28th wedding anniversary, probably my last one. My husband told me eighteen months ago that he doesn’t love me and doesn’t want to be married anymore. I have cried, prayed, screamed, and held out hope, but it is time to let my dream (my idol?) of a flourishing marriage go. Yahweh, God Almighty, has led me into this wilderness and is speaking tenderly to me here: “You will call me ‘my husband.’”

Yahweh is the faithful one; Yahweh is compassionate; Yahweh is the one who allures me; and, Yahweh is providing springs in the wilderness. He has provided people to come alongside and cry with me, pray with me, and break bread with me. He has provided financially through the generosity of family and friends. And, today he provided a loving arm around the shoulder and words from a friend: “You are never alone.”

I wonder how lonely David felt as he tended his sheep out here. I wonder how lonely Jesus felt as he was tempted out here. They had to depend on the provision and presence of God every moment in order to survive. As I sit and sip from my water bottle (knowing there is more on the bus), and look around at my new friends, I wonder if I would have had the courage and faith to make it in this dry wilderness alone like David did.

But, Yahweh reminds me that it is not this wilderness to which he has called me; I have my own wilderness to journey through, and he is providing in the midst of it. I am never alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment