Monday, June 23, 2014

Jerusalem Field Day #1 - June 17, 2014

My first field experience in Israel left me feeling lots of conflicting emotions: excitement, anticipation, fear, doubt. I knew this trip would be physically challenging but that first walk up what seemed to be hundreds of steps left me wondering what in the world I am doing here. Do I have what it takes? Will I make it?

As my friend Kelly reminded me of what Vern had said in class – that this is the land in which God had to provide for his people because natural resources were scarce – I began to understand what the Hebrew people must have encountered coming here. They also probably asked themselves: What in the world am I doing here? Do I have what it takes? Will I make it?

Because of the physical challenges I encountered, I felt unable to fully enter in to the magnitude of the places I was seeing: the probable site of Jesus’ crucifixion, his burial, and resurrection. I wonder, though, even if I had been feeling well, whether or not I would have felt some “extraordinary” emotion as I imagined I might. The further I walk in my journey of faith, the more I am struck with the ordinariness of much of faith. Walking with Jesus is a journey of remaining faithful through the ordinary day to day, not just celebrating or declaring my faith through an experience of gathered worship on Sunday.

My experience in Jerusalem today was an experience of the ordinary. Walking past people on their way home or to the market; seeing the men sitting outside their shops hoping to make some money to support their families; watching children play in the street. This is the land in which Jesus walked – a land of the ordinary. Jesus walked past people on their way home or to the market. He saw men sitting outside their shops trying to support their families. He watched children play in the streets. Jesus lived his life within the ordinary, day to day existence of first century Palestine.

Yet, into the midst of the ordinary, Jesus ushered in the kingdom of God, sometimes in dramatic, extraordinary ways, but most often in very ordinary ways. When Christians think of Jesus they often remember his miracles, healings, raising of the dead – dramatic moments. But Jesus also just walked among the people, teaching them about the character of the Father, encouraging them to love and seek peace rather than conflict, and breaking bread with them. Jesus was with and among the people in the midst of the ordinary day to day.


So, I will strive to release my expectations of extraordinary experiences while I am here in the Holy Land. I will seek to fully enter in to the ordinary day to day. I will trust that God is going to meet me in the challenge of making it up the next step, of talking with people along the way, and closing my eyes in sleep at the end of a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment