Sunday, June 29, 2014

Mount of Olives - June 20, 2014

Today was our first day getting on a bus and getting out of Jerusalem. It gave me the opportunity to see the bigger picture of the layout of the city, on a series of hills divided by the Kidron, Tyropean, and Hinnom valleys. It also gave me visual confirmation of the truth of the saying, “Going anywhere in Jerusalem means going uphill both ways!”

We made a number of stops along the Mount of Olives: the site of a 1st century family tomb on the grounds of Hebrew University; views looking across the Kidron Valley toward the Temple Mount; the site where Jesus is thought to have looked out over Jerusalem and wept for her; and, finally, the Garden of Gethsemane.

It was nice to be a bit further away from the crowds of the city, though there were still plenty of people here. Jerusalem is a city that is, quite literally, built right on top of itself. Layers of walls, buildings, and roads create a jigsaw puzzle that is both interesting and overwhelming. I realized today that part of why I am feeling less emotional than I anticipated at some of the sites here is because of the overstimulation of my senses. Sights, sounds, smells, and the ruggedness of the road beneath my feet all compete with and distract my soul.

All this reminds me that the scriptures say, “Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed,” (Luke 5:16, NIV). Jesus knows what it is like to face distractions of the soul, to be overwhelmed physically through his senses. And his example is a lesson to me that I must take time, even in this place, to withdraw to lonely places to listen for the voice of God. So I took time to quietly contemplate the emotions Jesus felt on this mountain:

The grief as he looked out over his beloved city – the place Yahweh chose for his name and glory – and knew that its people “did not recognize the time of God’s coming to [them],” (Luke 19:44);

The fear as he prayed to the Father that this cup would pass from him;

The rejection as one of his friends betrayed him with a kiss;

The frustration as another of his friends ignored his teaching and resorted to violence against a soldier;

And, the grace and compassion he maintained despite all his disciples’ failures.

The humanity of Jesus, and the fact that he is able to understand all of my weaknesses, has become even more of a comfort since I've been here. This is a physically demanding place to be, with the crowds, confined spaces, heat, and terrain. I am thankful that Jesus has experienced all that I am experiencing here and has compassion and grace on me in the midst of my distraction and confusion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment