Monday, June 23, 2014

Jerusalem Field Day #2 - June 18, 2014

“I lift up my eyes to the mountains – where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.” Psalm 121:1-2 (NIV)

Sitting on the overlook at the City of David, looking across the Kidron Valley to the Mount of Olives with the Temple Mount to the north, these verses took on new meaning for me. The psalmist was not thinking of some distant mountain range as I do, picturing the Rocky Mountains in my mind. He was looking to a large hill right in front of him which protected his precious city from destructive east winds and which provided refreshing, nourishing rains. It was not the majesty and strength of a 15,000-foot jagged summit but the effects of a gentle 2,600-foot slope which imaged the protection and provision of Yahweh to him.

It was over this slope that the morning sun would appear, promising a new day. It forced the clouds and moisture coming from the Mediterranean up once again to give a drink of water to the valley below. And it offered a buffer to Jerusalem from the dust and heat of winds driven across from the Arabian Desert. All of this from a relatively small mountain; small, yet powerful.

How often do I think that the provision and protection of God needs to come in some 15,000-foot majestic way when all around me he has provided powerful 2,600-foot slopes? Meals shared with friends and family, open homes when I need a place to stay, the nourishing refreshment of prayer. In all these ways, Yahweh is protecting and providing for me in the midst of some deep personal valleys.


“I lift up my eyes to the mountains – where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.”

No comments:

Post a Comment