Thursday, April 29, 2010

Various models of sanctification

I'm auditing a systematic theology class this semester. This week we began discussing models of sanctification. We will be doing a short overview (generalization) of Lutheran, Reformed, and Weslyan models. This week we learned about the Lutheran model. Now, I grew up in the Lutheran church and my extended family are mostly still active there, so I could really relate to what the professor was talking about. Because of Luther's involvement in the reformation and the commitment to salvation by grace ALONE, through faith ALONE, there is a strong desire to avoid anything that could possibly even hint at some kind of effort on the believer's part, lest we succumb to a works righteousness model. The over-simplification of this view is that the individual just needs to cease striving, focus on Christ, and the Spirit will spontaneously work Christ-likeness in the life of the believer in His timing.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, in The Cost of Discipleship, says: "We Lutherans have gathered like the eagles around the carcass of cheap grace, and there we have drunk of the poison which has killed the life of following Christ. It is true, of course, that we have paid the doctrine of pure grace divine honours unparalleled in Christendom; in fact we have exalted that doctrine to the position of God himself. Everywhere Luther's formula has been repeated, but its truth (has been) perverted into self-deception. . . by making this grace available on the cheapest and easiest terms. To be 'Lutheran' must mean that we must leave the following Christ to legalists, Calvinists and enthusiasts – and all this for the sake of grace. We justified the world, and condemned as heretics those who tried to follow Christ. The result was that a nation became Christian and Lutheran, but at the cost of true discipleship. The price it was called upon to pay was all too cheap. Cheap grace had won the day."

What do you think? Is spiritual formation something that spontaneously occurs? If we speak of actively following Christ are we denying God's grace?

3 comments:

  1. Chester's new [USA published] "You Can Change" strikes a Bonhoeffer-esqe balance in my view. Here's a review of it: http://tgcreviews.com/reviews/you-can-change/ ... my smarmy single word responses to your good last questions are: On spontaneous formation: No. On denying God's grace: No.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahead of you on that one, brother! I just received my copy two days ago and can't wait to get to it this weekend. Thanks for introducing me to Tim Chester!

    And, thanks for the smarmy, single word responses; I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I agree with you and Matt - no and no! I think scripture is pretty clear that to depend on Christ and His grace are not exclusive of us actively walking with Him.

    BTW, I loved COD by Bonhoeffer. A life changing book for me, I read it after I first became a Christian and much of it has stuck with me to this day. I don't agree with 100% of it (but I don't with Lewis, either) But it's a good book and should be read by more Christians.

    ReplyDelete